Scrum is a hot topic of discussion for many IT professionals.
The Scrum Guide defines the Daily Scrum (aka Daily Stand-Up) but does not prescribe a way to implement it. Every team is different and not everyone implements the Daily Scrum in the same way.
In this video see a team at Microsoft (who are building the Agile project management tools used by millions of developers), perform their Daily Scrum. Commentary provided by Adam Cogan.
In the video, you will see:
- Tips from Adam Cogan on how to perform a Daily Stand Up
- How the members of the Scrum Team use technology (www.tfspreview.com) in their Daily Scrum
- Why the teams do their Daily Stand Ups in a hallway
- The role of the Project Manager and the Product Owner
- Adam discusses the Product Managers’ decision to move an item of the Sprint and swap it with another item
- Tip #1: Have your Scrum Master review the Sprint Progress at the end.
- Tip #2: Keep a schedule of the Daily Scrum times on a wall + have a recurring appointment in Outlook.
- Tip #3: Keep to the schedule. Same place, same time (and start even if people are missing).
- Tip #4: Do you update tasks before the Daily Scrum?
- Tip #5: Don’t go into detail.
- Tip #6: No phones + no checking email. No distractions
- Tip #7: Use a task board (even better use and electronic one)
- See more of the above tips at sswtv.wpengine.com/DailyScrum
- You will notice they say ‘Park That’ which follows Tip #8
- In the original Scrum Guide, a ‘Chicken’ is someone who doesn’t talk at the Daily Scrum. Note: Scrum 2011 deprecated the terms ‘Pigs and ‘Chickens’
- In Scrum, the Burndown Chart shows your progress and whether you’re on track.
- “Dog-Fooding” refers to ‘using your own beta software in production, as you are making it’. It’s just like eating the dog food you make.
- Check out the ‘8 Steps to Scrum’ guide at 8 steps to Scrum
- For more information about SSW Scrum Consulting go to www.ssw.com.au/ssw/consulting/Scrum.aspx
About the speakers
Mr Scrum Master
Adam Cogan is the Chief Architect at SSW, a Microsoft Certified Gold Partner specializing in custom .NET, SharePoint, Business Intelligence, and CRM solutions. At SSW, Adam has been developing custom solutions for businesses across a range of industries such as Government, engineering, banking, insurance and manufacturing since 1990 for clients such as Microsoft, Worley Parsons and Aurecon.
“Hey Dev, stop for a Sec… it’s not all about Ops!” Admit it! Ever since you adopted DevOps, things are spinning way faster than you thought they would. Tools are taking care of the CI/CD process, an APM platform gives you insights into issues in production, and you are fully focused on your code. Having…
Quick analysis of the Cambridge Analytica scandal currently facing Facebook.
Office 2019 will only work on Windows 10 + what’s the difference between an MSI and Click To Run? | Adam Cogan
Office 2019 will only work on Windows 10. We also cover Windows installer technologies; what’s the difference between an MSI and Click To Run?
This is not the same container 101 talk you’ve seen a dozen times. The point of this talk is how to ship a container to production, once you’ve built it. We’ll containerize a .net core app, debug locally, set up continuous deployment, set up a container cluster and deploy to it.
Every year, each SSW office gets together to share fun, laughter and discuss their best work moments of last year. It’s a great time to share ideas and connect with all the families, that support us behind the scenes and help us be so awesome.
SSW TV was proud to sponsor this years’ DDD event in Brisbane. In this session Jeremy Cade walks us through Windows Server Containers what you need to know as an ASP.NET Developer. From the description: The game has changed: Containers, once the the sole dominion of Linux have made their way into the Microsoft stack.…
ASP.NET Core is a whole new world for ASP.NET developers because it opens the door to cross-platform development. However, it comes with a hefty price. Not only does it takes some time before you get your head around it, even deployment is now quite different. So how can you bring ASP.NET Core application and DevOps…
In this video, learn how to: Set up Typescript for Visual Studio in Angular2 Override Visual Studio’s inbuilt Node and Gulp versions to use your project or global versions How to launch Angular 2 on a blank default ASP.NET Core application How to set up ASP.NET Core to use index,html and static files