We’ve converted the ‘Scrum Master’ definition from the 2013 Scrum Guide into cartoon form to illustrate the role of a Scrum Master in a Scrum team.
(from the 2013 Scrum Guide)
The Scrum Master
The Scrum Master is responsible for ensuring Scrum is understood and enacted. Scrum Masters do this by ensuring that the Scrum Team adheres to Scrum theory, practices, and rules.
The Scrum Master is a servant-leader for the Scrum Team. The Scrum Master helps those outside the Scrum Team understand which of their interactions with the Scrum Team are helpful and which aren’t. The Scrum Master helps everyone change these interactions to maximize the value created by the Scrum Team.
Scrum Master Service to the Product Owner
The Scrum Master serves the Product Owner in several ways, including:
- Finding techniques for effective Product Backlog management;
- Helping the Scrum Team understand the need for clear and concise Product Backlog items;
- Understanding product planning in an empirical environment;
- Ensuring the Product Owner knows how to arrange the Product Backlog to maximize value;
- Understanding and practicing agility; and,
- Facilitating Scrum events as requested or needed.
Scrum Master Service to the Development Team
The Scrum Master serves the Development Team in several ways, including:
- Coaching the Development Team in self-organization and cross-functionality;
- Helping the Development Team to create high-value products;
- Removing impediments to the Development Team’s progress;
- Facilitating Scrum events as requested or needed; and,
- Coaching the Development Team in organizational environments in which Scrum is not yet fully adopted and understood.
Scrum Master Service to the Organization
The Scrum Master serves the organization in several ways, including:
- Leading and coaching the organization in its Scrum adoption;
- Planning Scrum implementations within the organization;
- Helping employees and stakeholders understand and enact Scrum and empirical product development;
- Causing change that increases the productivity of the Scrum Team; and,
- Working with other Scrum Masters to increase the effectiveness of the application of Scrum in the organization.
Take the Quiz!
About the speakers
Mr Scrum Master
In this talk, Anthony will take an in depth look at Federated Identity using OpenID Connect and OAuth2 Framework for ASP. NET Core using Duende IdentityServer (aka IdentityServer 5). Securing your application is bloody important! With so much jargon to sift through, it’s easy to get lost, for example there’s SSO, OAuth2, SAML 2.0, OpenID…
February Tech News – Supply chain attack! Facebook & Apple privacy showdown and DotNet templates | Adam Cogan
Let’s Talk News with Adam Cogan, talking about some of the latest in the tech industry in February. 00:00 – Introduction – welcome to February’s Tech News 00:15 – Nine signs Google deal 02:08 – Coding news – supply chain attack!! 05:02 – Facebook & Apple privacy showdown 06:38 – Project Bicep – next generation…
January Tech News – Power Apps, new Teams interface, and how Apple Watch is fighting COVID-19 | Adam Cogan
Adam Cogan talks about some exciting new developments with Power Apps, Azure SQL, the new Microsoft Teams interface, Apple Watch helping in the fight against COVID-19, and more! 00:00 – Introduction – welcome to 2021! 00:24 – Power Apps turning emails into mobile notifications 01:21 – Reference: Power Apps new naming: https://youtu.be/SU910ZzDp7M 02:03 – Azure…
In this Tech Talk, Andreas Lengkeek has a chat with Mehmet Ozdemir. We learn about Multitenancy with SQL Server, and go through some scenarios where this might be useful. In this video SSW Solution Architect Mehmet Ozdemir chats with Andreas Lengkeek about the three options for Multitenancy with SQL Server and how he goes about…
The world has embraced Serverless computing, but some systems still end up with the same problems we thought would be a thing of the past. William covers how we should apply familiar SOLID principles to our Serverless Application architecture and infrastructure. This lets you create systems that are are light, easy to maintain, and benefit…
How do you get environment- or tenant-specific config into your users’ hands? With mobile or desktop apps, for managed devices we can pre-configure these using SOE or MDM tools. However, deploying configuration to unmanaged devices is the real challenge! In this talk, Matt Goldman looks at some different options for automating this for your users.…
Quick Question – How many Visualization options come built-in with Power BI? Quick Answer – Not nearly enough. Prem will walk you through the extra visualizations that are in the wonderful awesome Power BI Visuals Marketplace called AppSource. However, no matter how many options you find, there is always a need for that little bit…
Watch this demo of how a hacker who has broken into your machine can quickly and easily get your password hashes, take them offline and crack them to retrieve your original password. In this talk, Alexei discusses how passwords are stored in Windows, some techniques real-world hackers use to crack password hashes and what you…
Learn the fundamentals of cryptography, including public/private and symmetric encryption, hashing, and digital signatures. Discover which techniques are appropriate for various situations. Review practical real life examples for storing passwords, protecting URL parameters, securely exchanging information with partners, and safely encrypting sensitive information on public web sites. Concepts apply to all platforms, examples will be…
Matt Wicks talks with Yaser about his talk at NDC: Tuning web performance with just browser APIs For more interviews, watch the full video playlist: