We’ve converted the ‘Scrum Master’ definition from the 2013 Scrum Guide into cartoon form to illustrate the role of a Scrum Master in a Scrum team.
(from the 2013 Scrum Guide)
The Scrum Master
The Scrum Master is responsible for ensuring Scrum is understood and enacted. Scrum Masters do this by ensuring that the Scrum Team adheres to Scrum theory, practices, and rules.
The Scrum Master is a servant-leader for the Scrum Team. The Scrum Master helps those outside the Scrum Team understand which of their interactions with the Scrum Team are helpful and which aren’t. The Scrum Master helps everyone change these interactions to maximize the value created by the Scrum Team.
Scrum Master Service to the Product Owner
The Scrum Master serves the Product Owner in several ways, including:
- Finding techniques for effective Product Backlog management;
- Helping the Scrum Team understand the need for clear and concise Product Backlog items;
- Understanding product planning in an empirical environment;
- Ensuring the Product Owner knows how to arrange the Product Backlog to maximize value;
- Understanding and practicing agility; and,
- Facilitating Scrum events as requested or needed.
Scrum Master Service to the Development Team
The Scrum Master serves the Development Team in several ways, including:
- Coaching the Development Team in self-organization and cross-functionality;
- Helping the Development Team to create high-value products;
- Removing impediments to the Development Team’s progress;
- Facilitating Scrum events as requested or needed; and,
- Coaching the Development Team in organizational environments in which Scrum is not yet fully adopted and understood.
Scrum Master Service to the Organization
The Scrum Master serves the organization in several ways, including:
- Leading and coaching the organization in its Scrum adoption;
- Planning Scrum implementations within the organization;
- Helping employees and stakeholders understand and enact Scrum and empirical product development;
- Causing change that increases the productivity of the Scrum Team; and,
- Working with other Scrum Masters to increase the effectiveness of the application of Scrum in the organization.
Take the Quiz!
About the speakers
Mr Scrum Master
Dive into the latest Tech News! Explore the AI Pin, Google’s Gemini vs GPT-4, Apple’s Big AI Move with MLX, Tesla Cybertruck Finally Hits the Road, OpenAI’s Dramatic Turn, AI-Generated Git Commit Messages & more
Join host Adam Cogan as he discusses these developments and provides insights. Stay up-to-date with the fast-paced world of technology!
Gain essential skills in enterprise application development using Clean Architecture and .NET and learn foundational skills to build robust, maintainable applications—ideal for developers familiar with C#. Available both in-person and online.
.NET 8 has improved the data story with new features, waiting to be discovered. Let’s embark on a journey from understanding basic scaffolding to the intricacies of schema evolution and SQL debugging. It’s time to be inspired by the art of database craftsmanship.
Are you in Australia and looking to upgrade your tech without breaking the bank? This video is a must-watch! We’re diving into the smart world of salary sacrificing for electronic devices, a savvy financial strategy that can save you big bucks on your next tech purchase.
Matt dives deep into the exciting new updates of the SSW Rewards Mobile App! Whether you’re a long-time user or just getting started, these updates are going to enhance your experience like never before. Matt discusses the the ideas and potential of the SSW Rewards Mobile APP. How to increase engagement and improve the user experience, dive into the world of SSW Rewards App – where engagement and rewards meet innovation!
“Less is more” is a popular concept in design and aesthetics, which suggests that simplicity and minimalism can be more effective and powerful than complexity and abundance.