Adam Stephensen, Solution Architect at SSW, caught up with Dino Esposito, Technical Evangelist at JetBrains, to discuss the lessons learnt building mobile apps and sites. Many of today’s users are on the web via mobile devices, yet too many web sites are neither optimized nor adapted to render on multiple devices. Too many developers think a little CSS magic will do the trick. Responsive Web Design (RWD) delivers multi-device views without extra costs, but what if you have workflows to implement or different use-cases? This video session with Dino looks at a few real examples where RWD is not enough and server-side detection is necessary.
- 00:45 When building mobile applications for the enterprise, what’s the most important lesson you’ve learned?
- 02:45 Is it true that you don’t believe that responsive web design answers most of the requirements when building sites targeted at mobile devices?
- 04:40 MVC 4 added great functionality for conditionally rendering different views for the same action method (Display Modes). Do you find this is one of the key features you utilise for mobile targeting?
- 08:35 How does you see CSS Media Queries, the ViewPort meta tag and ASP.Net MVC Display modes working in together?
- 12:30 It seems that RWD and server side device detection are mutually exclusive, is that really so?
- 15:05 ASP.Net 1.0 introduced the browser capabilities database, but that feature really hasn’t coped with the explosion of mobile browsers available. What are your recommendations around device detection because this is obviously a dependency in order to serve up the correct mobile view ?
- 19:25 How do you handle the situation where a different workflow is required for different devices. e.g. a workflow for a mobile checkout might be 10 steps where a desktop checkout may only be require 3 steps with more information on each screen?
- 23:35 I think there is a tendency amongst so called ‘back end’ web developers to avoid some of the more user facing UI topics like RWD. Is RWD something that you think should be the focus of designers and html guys, or is it something the C# crowd should be spending more time on?
- 26:00–26:50 What are the most common mistakes that you see with respect to mobile targeting?
- 26:50 Where should I go for more resources to find out the complete story on mobile targeting?
Want to build a website?
SSW has the resources to develop sites of any scope, from ongoing maintenance tasks to the implementation of large complex sites. Know more.
About the speakers
Dino Esposito is a consultant and the author of several .NET books published by Microsoft Press. Based in Italy, Dino is a frequent speaker at industry events worldwide.
In this talk, Anthony will take an in depth look at Federated Identity using OpenID Connect and OAuth2 Framework for ASP. NET Core using Duende IdentityServer (aka IdentityServer 5). Securing your application is bloody important! With so much jargon to sift through, it’s easy to get lost, for example there’s SSO, OAuth2, SAML 2.0, OpenID…
February Tech News – Supply chain attack! Facebook & Apple privacy showdown and DotNet templates | Adam Cogan
Let’s Talk News with Adam Cogan, talking about some of the latest in the tech industry in February. 00:00 – Introduction – welcome to February’s Tech News 00:15 – Nine signs Google deal 02:08 – Coding news – supply chain attack!! 05:02 – Facebook & Apple privacy showdown 06:38 – Project Bicep – next generation…
January Tech News – Power Apps, new Teams interface, and how Apple Watch is fighting COVID-19 | Adam Cogan
Adam Cogan talks about some exciting new developments with Power Apps, Azure SQL, the new Microsoft Teams interface, Apple Watch helping in the fight against COVID-19, and more! 00:00 – Introduction – welcome to 2021! 00:24 – Power Apps turning emails into mobile notifications 01:21 – Reference: Power Apps new naming: https://youtu.be/SU910ZzDp7M 02:03 – Azure…
In this Tech Talk, Andreas Lengkeek has a chat with Mehmet Ozdemir. We learn about Multitenancy with SQL Server, and go through some scenarios where this might be useful. In this video SSW Solution Architect Mehmet Ozdemir chats with Andreas Lengkeek about the three options for Multitenancy with SQL Server and how he goes about…
The world has embraced Serverless computing, but some systems still end up with the same problems we thought would be a thing of the past. William covers how we should apply familiar SOLID principles to our Serverless Application architecture and infrastructure. This lets you create systems that are are light, easy to maintain, and benefit…
How do you get environment- or tenant-specific config into your users’ hands? With mobile or desktop apps, for managed devices we can pre-configure these using SOE or MDM tools. However, deploying configuration to unmanaged devices is the real challenge! In this talk, Matt Goldman looks at some different options for automating this for your users.…
Quick Question – How many Visualization options come built-in with Power BI? Quick Answer – Not nearly enough. Prem will walk you through the extra visualizations that are in the wonderful awesome Power BI Visuals Marketplace called AppSource. However, no matter how many options you find, there is always a need for that little bit…
Watch this demo of how a hacker who has broken into your machine can quickly and easily get your password hashes, take them offline and crack them to retrieve your original password. In this talk, Alexei discusses how passwords are stored in Windows, some techniques real-world hackers use to crack password hashes and what you…
Learn the fundamentals of cryptography, including public/private and symmetric encryption, hashing, and digital signatures. Discover which techniques are appropriate for various situations. Review practical real life examples for storing passwords, protecting URL parameters, securely exchanging information with partners, and safely encrypting sensitive information on public web sites. Concepts apply to all platforms, examples will be…
Matt Wicks talks with Yaser about his talk at NDC: Tuning web performance with just browser APIs For more interviews, watch the full video playlist: